It’s easy to fall into the mode of “get it and forget it” when it comes to insurance coverage. However, because life constantly changes, reviewing your policies on a regular basis is the best way to guard against unnecessary financial risk.
The beginning of the year is an ideal time to review your insurance to be sure it is:
- Protecting your loved ones and assets at the levels you need it to, and
- Doing so at the best price possible.
THE RIGHT COVERAGE
When you request an insurance review, your agent will help you evaluate whether there are gaps in your existing coverage by reviewing the types and amounts of coverage you have. Gaps are typically created by life events such as marriage, divorce, having kids, a change in your home value, or a job change.
Here is a list of questions to consider as you review various types of insurance coverage:
- Has the value of your home changed due to upgrades or increased property values?
- Are there any exclusions, such as flood damage, in your policy that leave you at risk?
- Is your coverage still adequate to cover the replacement of your home and belongings in the event of a disaster?
- Should you be specifically listing items such as jewelry, guns or fine art within your coverage?
- Are you paying for comprehensive coverage on a car that only requires liability coverage?
- Do you qualify for discounts due to having an accident-free driving record or a “good student” driver?
- Should you increase your deductible to lower premiums?
- Have policies lapsed or have you lost work-sponsored coverage due to a job change?
- Is the amount of your coverage still sufficient to cover your loved ones future needs?
- Are you at an age or life stage, where you might consider reducing coverage?
- Given your medical history, are you better off with more coverage and higher premiums or lower premiums and higher out-of-pocket costs?
- Are your prescriptions covered under your current plan?
- Should you be considering the addition of a long-term care policy?
- Should you add an umbrella policy to supplement your general liability coverage?
- Are your systems covered against data breaches or cyber scams?
- Has there been a change in owners, partners or officers at your business?
- Have you made any changes in ownership or entities that would affect liability coverage?
- Do any new drivers need to be added or deleted to your policies?
- Is your unscheduled farm equipment coverage up to date?
- Are your ATVs and side by side vehicles covered by your existing policies?
THE RIGHT PRICE
Working with an Independent Agent offers an advantage when it comes to coverage comparisons, as the agent won’t be tied to just one company. Because they can shop dozens of companies on your behalf, your Independent Agent can compare prices as well as special offers or bundling discounts on your behalf.
Our friendly insurance agents are only a phone call away. Talk with them today about an insurance review.
Insurance products are not deposits, not FDIC insured, not insured by any federal agency, not guaranteed by any bank, and may go down in value.